Sunday, August 24, 2014

Starting Over

Ok. So I really dropped the ball after only two posts. No excuses. And I can't remember why I didn't continue. I received a comment a few days ago about my first post. Somehow, someone found my little blog out there on the internet.It made me think about what I intended to do with this blog so I am going to start again.

I have many ideas floating in my brain about topics to write about. My problem is putting pen to paper. I have never felt confident in my writing. It was always a struggle in high school and college. I grew up in a time when teachers gave you a topic such as "What I Did on my Summer Vacation" (really, I remember writing about that). They didn't really teach us how to write. i guess they assumed we could just do it instinctively.

I didn't learn about the art of writing until I became a teacher. I learned all about the process from having to teach it. Many times I have thought that if I had been taught the way I was teaching I would have been a much better writer.

I also realized that what i had the most trouble with was synthesizing my ideas. I knew what I wanted to say, I could analyze information, but I could never put it all together so it was a coherent piece of writing. I am going to follow the advise I always gave my students. The way to become a better writer is to write, and write, and write some more.

I will try to add a new post once a week. The topics will vary according to what is going on inside my brain at any given time. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment