Thursday, September 4, 2014

Makeup

I discovered makeup when I was in 7th grade. I watched Yardley of London commercials and that's what I wanted. I remember gray and blue eye shadow, black eyeliner, brushes, and Eau de London perfume. I would practice applying eye liner every day after school. I also remember wearing pink lipstick mixed with white eye shadow to get a pale look. Once I was in high school I wore make up everyday.

In college I had some blemish problems and went to a dermatologist. He recommended oil free foundation. But in those days it was hard to find. I remember having to ask the pharmacist for it. It was hard to put on and it didn't last very long. One day that stands out is the last time I wore it. I walked out of class to find a misty rain. My friend turned to me and said it looks like you have oatmeal on your face. I ran to the bathroom and my face looked like I had cake batter on it! I quickly wiped it off. When I returned home the foundation went in the trash can.

During my working years I always wore makeup. I had a few eye shadows and lip glosses. I only wore mascara when going out. I was too busy during the day to retouch my lips so most of the time they were bare. I also didn't blend too much so how I placed the makeup on my eyes was how it stayed.

After I retired I discovered a whole world of makeup on line. I can't remember what I was searching for but I couldn't believe how many you tube videos were devoted to makeup. I started to try different products and techniques. Most were successful, a few were not. Since I had more time to put on makeup everyday I took my time and had fun with it. I discovered different brushes, brands, and colors. My husband made fun of me for watching the videos and for spending time browsing the makeup aisles in drugstores and Target. I was so happy when Sephora opened up nearby.

I did go a little overboard but I have since pared back. I still wear makeup everyday and I still have fun. I try not to buy new things until I finish something I already have. My favorite things are eye shadow and lipstick.

This is my guilty pleasure and it certainly is harmless. As I tell my husband, "You still look at tools in the hardware store even though you don't need any. That is how I feel about makeup. I don't need it, but it is fun to look"!

No comments:

Post a Comment